India is one of the top destinations for medical tourism. Medical tourism in India is growing at a staggering pace. The country is ranked 3rd in the world for the volume of medical tourists that travel to the country each year.
India isn’t just popular among patients, but also among general travelers. The country offers some of the prettiest beaches in the world, with Goa standing out among them all. Landmarks such as the Taj Mahal and MGR Memorial are often visited by tourists. The quality and costs of medical care, a rich heritage and history and the glistening shores running against the coastal drive foreign patients and travelers by the thousands every year.
Why Choose India?
India is a preferred destination for medical tourism, primarily because of the costs, the latest technologies, compliance with international standards and adaption of best practices.
- Medical procedure cost in India is a fraction of what they would cost in the US, UK or Canada. Patients enjoy savings worth 40% to 90%, which has made medical tourism in India quite popular. In other countries popular for medical tourism, the savings are usually around 65% to 70% at most.
- Receiving quality care at an affordable price is still rare; India is one of the few countries where this is a possibility. Most of the hospitals have adopted a control program that evaluates and continuously improves quality. Advanced technology and innovative procedures are used. Patient aftercare is also of high quality.
- The most popular medical treatments and procedures in India are heart surgery and hip resurfacing. Other medical services that are common include dentistry, cancer treatments, spine surgery, neurosurgery, transplants, IVF treatment/fertility treatment and orthopedic surgery for trauma cases.
Healthcare and Medical Tourism in India
India has 38 JCI accredited hospitals. Acquiring accreditation is a two-year process that involves conducting gap analyses, updating policies and procedures and carrying out improvements. These medical facilities and hospitals that have a JCI accreditation, run continuous quality programs, and foster a culture of patient safety.
Upon being treated, the patient can either stay at the hospital or at a nearby hotel. Many hospitals also offer telemedicine as part of their continuous treatment program.
Indian doctors are qualified and many have received training from abroad. In addition, there are hospital groups which have now turned into international brands that are known all over the world. Private hospitals in the country have capitalized on the growing industry.
Chennai is the health capital of India with many general and specialized hospitals that attract hundreds of international visitors on a daily basis. Patients enjoy super facilities and low or no waiting periods. Of the thousands of patient beds available at various hospitals, only 50% are used by the locals; the rest are for foreigners. Other popular cities that attract foreign patients are Mumbai, Goa and New Delhi.
Why are Certain Medical Procedures Popular in India
- People from around the world are leaving their home countries in order to benefit from hip replacement surgery cost in India. Making this procedure one of the most popular in this medical tourism destination.
- Cardiology procedures are known for their complexity and their price. But heart surgery cost in India is unrivaled and doctors who perform these procedures are becoming world renowned due to the volume of international patients seeking their services.
- Cancer related procedures are notorious for being very expensive. However, the cancer treatment cost in India is so competitive that an individual can save money, even with the flight and lodging cost included.
- Fertility treatment can cost anywhere from 10 to 15 thousand dollars and sometimes more. However, fertility treatment cost in India is usually half that amount which has made India one of the go to countries for fertility treatment.
Lodging and Hotels
Indian accommodation options include budget hotels, mid-range hotels and luxury resorts. Even in the most expensive cities, the starting rates for a single person are around $10 per night. Lodging in India is available at an economical range. So rather than spending on the hotels, patients can use the money on their medical procedure. Luxury suites are also reasonably priced. Rooms at 5-star hotels can be booked at impressive rates, even during peak times.
Climate and Weather
India can be divided into six major climatic regions. Four distinguishable seasons can be observed around the year. Generally, the summers are hot. Temperatures turn moderate during the rainy season in October and November. Winters are cold, but temperatures usually don’t cross the freezing point.
Entrance Requirements and Visa
The government offers various incentives to healthcare tourism visitors. They expanded their e-visa program recently to support the growing industry. They also offer a separate medical visa, under which patients can stay in the country for 6 months maximum.
You can apply for a medical visa online if you have a valid passport and medical letter from the medical facility where you’ll receive treatment. The standard costs are around $150; upon payment, you can get your visa in four business days. Rush processing allows you to get the visa in 3 days and Super Rush processing ensures you receive it in just a day. The cost for both is around $180.
If you get an electronic travel authorization, you may obtain a visa on arrival. But this is applicable only when you are travelling for tourist purposes. The stay is limited to 60 days.
Languages and Culture
Indian culture is among the oldest in the world. 84% of the locals are Hindus and another 13% are Muslims. The cuisine is influenced by other countries, but it mostly features basmati rice, wheat and pulses.
India has 22 official languages. Hindi, English and Bengali are among the most popular spoken languages in India. English is spoken by nearly everyone in the medical industry. In some cities like Noida, translators are also available to facilitate the patients whose first language isn’t English.
Entertainment and Tourist Attractions
India is filled with many beautiful sites and attractions like the Taj Mahal, Red Fort and Mysore Palace. Tourists also visit stunning beaches along the Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea. Goa is a popular beach destination. Many festivals are celebrated throughout the year, of which Diwali and Holi are the most popular among Hindus. The Muslims celebrate Eid.
Taj Mahal, a stunning all-white building, is a popular destination among tourists. It has been named after Emperor Shah Jahan’s wife, Mumtaz Mahal. The holy city of Varanasi on the banks of Ganges River is among the world’s oldest inhabited cities. The Golden Temple of Amritsar is another historical landmark.
Overview of India:
Capital of India: New Delhi
Languages: Hindi, but English is spoken throughout the country.
Currency: Indian Rupee (INR)
Suggested Vaccines: Hepatitis A and B, antimalarial, and boosters for and Typhoid and Polio
Time Zones: GMT +5
Country Code for Telephone Calls: +91
Airlines that fly from United States to India
- Air India
Other airlines that fly to India
- Emirates flights
- ANA (All Nippon Airways)
- Kuwait Airways
- British Airways
- Turkish Airlines
- Brussels Airlines
- Jet Airways
- Austrian Airlines
- Korean Air
- Saudia flights
- EL AL Israel Airlines
- Qatar Airways
- Japan Airlines
- American Airlines
- China Eastern
- AirAsia X
- Air France
- Air China
- China Airlines
- Etihad Airways
- Ukraine International
- Air Canada
- Asiana Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- China Southern
- Uzbekistan Airways
- Cathay Pacific
- Ethiopian Airlines
- Singapore Airlines
- Hong Kong Airlines
INSTANTLY COMPARE THE COST OF TREATMENT ABROAD IN 4 SIMPLE STEPS
Would you like a quick price quote for a medical procedure or destination not listed below? Please click here